Friday, October 30
Ground meat is mainly used when we make meat ball. I called these tofu balls because tofu is used as primary ingredient and ground pork is acting as a secondary one. In addition to tofu and ground pork, some finely chopped Enoki mushroom and chopped dried mushroom were used to give it more taste and texture. The ground pork takes up only about one-third of the total weight. This is a great and healthy way to cut down meat consumption.
1. 1 case medium firm tofu
2. 150 g ground pork
3. 120 g Enoki mushroom
4. 2 dried mushrooms
5. 8 heads Green Baby Bok Choy (or 4 heads regular Bok Choy, quartered vertically through the head)
Seasoning A : 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon salt, ground pepper
Seasoning B : 2 tablespoons Oyster Sauce, ½ tablespoon sugar, ½ cup water, ½ tablespoon wet cornstarch (mixed with 2 tablespoons water)
1. Remove the root of Enoki mushroom, drop Enoki in boiling water for few seconds, remove, drain and rinse it in cold water, squeeze off excess water and chop it in fine pieces. Soak dried mushroom in warm water, remove the stem when it becomes soft, chop mushroom in fine pieces. Press and cut tofu in fine pieces with a spoon (or press it through a strainer). Chop ground pork to make it even finer. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Add everything in Seasoning A in tofu mixture, mix well. Heat up oil in a deep fry pan to high temperature (a tiny drop of tofu in the oil will sizzle right away), then lower to medium high. Place a tablespoonful of tofu mixture in one palm, shape it with a tablespoon and form an egg shape ball, drop the ball in the hot oil gently. Do the same with the rest tofu mixture (several ones in each batch). Deep-fry these balls until they turn golden brown, and float at surface. (Tip 1)
3. Boil Green Baby Bok Choy in boiling water for 30 seconds (Tip 2), remove, drain and rinse in cold water. Heat up 2 tablespoons oil in wok, stir-fry Bok Choy briefly, remove and arrange it at outer rim of a big plate.
4. Boil Seasoning B in wok, lower to medium low flame, add tofu balls in the gravy sauce, mix well, remove and place in the plate surrounded by Bok Choy.
Tip 1: It might stick at bottom of pan when it was just dropped into the oil. Don’t move it until it turns slightly brown.
Tip 2: Add ½ teaspoon salt into the boiling water will help keeping the green of the vegetable.